Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Back in Oxford!

But about to go back to London!

No, not cos it's bad or anything...I'm working tomorrow at MyBnk.

So, I know I was supposed to be blogging more regularly, thus I figured I'd better make a quick note before I jetted, or I should say coached, off. In my defence again, my laptop was packed up and I was very busy before I moved up late Sunday afternoon, and have only just managed to get the internet working in my room, so really my turnaround time hasn't been too shoddy at all!

I'm at Wolfson College, which is a big graduate college in the north end of Oxford (between Jericho-ish and Summertown). Its a 1960s/1970s college and so the buildings have that style to them (not quite the impressive overbearing nature of Keble's red brick!) but inside it's beautiful. I have a lovely room in the Main Buildings on what is quaintly known as Tree Quad (even though the other side has far more trees than this quad). Best of all it's been entirely renovated and all the furniture and kitchen appliances are brand new! I have an en suite bathroom with a tiny shower (still, MY shower) and also a balcony with the most gloriously green view! I can see the river and the island (Wolfson has a little island) and a little bridge and a big bridge and the punt jetty and, best of all, a meadow across the river where cows can be found grazing! Countryside style, yeah! When compared to the proximity of the houses and the small garden full of building stuff at home, well, this is just wonderful.

So far no-one else has moved into my flat (there are four rooms, but Freshers' Week doesn't start until next week, so they could be coming at any time) but the room rent is quite pricey (£17.25 a day or £120.75 a week) so maybe I'll have it all to myself?? Unlikely, heehee. It'll be nice to have some flatmates if they are nice, else I will have to work hard to mould them.

What else? I've met a few doctoral students and a couple of other new guys too, who have all been nice. I've been hanging out a bit with MT (who has been a superstar in helping me settle in!) and her friends, who are all funny and lovely and smart. They did the Telegraph cryptic crossword last night, which was awesome since I always completely skip over the cryptic as something much too hard, but in fact it seems like something I could do after all. We had dinner in hall and went up to the common room afterwards, which is a nice way to wind down on an evening. Apart from that I've been setting up my room and unpacking and sorting various things out and filling in forms etc. The most exciting thing is putting my name on the waiting list for a college allotment! Hopefully I won't have to wait too long (there ARE two people in front of me though). Also watching the ducks swim in the river, doing some recycling, and generally finding my way around. There are loads of kids here (there's family accommodation in college, which is great!) and also two cats, bless.

So yes, so far so good. Am back in London for a little while now, with work and family and various social engagements (although no longer a knee appointment - grrr they've cancelled my operation so I'm back on the waiting list, rubbish!) but will return for Freshers' week. Will do my best to give you an update then.