Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Busy in Oxford

I'm in Oxford! And that is why I haven't been posting. I've been busy. Two full days of induction into the Sociology department and lots of work and reading and things to sort out already. Phew, good thing it's almost dinner time.

I've settled into college well and made myself be a little bit sociable, which has been good. Freshers' week is loads different this time round in that there seem to be fewer big opportunities to get everyone together, but then on the other hand it doesn't matter as much to try and fit in and meet everyone etc. People are much more relaxed and so we can just get on with things.

I've met two of my flatmates, who seem nice although I hardly know anything about them at all. Have also met lots of people from my course (there are 28 doing the MSc this year, which is loads!) Some of them are super keen and some of them are super shocked by all the stuff they've been overloaded with. My respect for international students continues to grow, especially those who come from a country where English isn't the first language - how brave and dramatic to come over here! I'm really glad to be returning to Oxford because loads of things are already much easier (you forget how much you've absorbed over the years, and also how nice it is to have a supportive family and people you already know and who will help you out over here). Hopefully all those people will settle in and be ok here too.

What else? Last week was ace, some good educational fun at MyBnk, and some great dinners too. I had loooooads of curry, but it was nice to eat it with X in Brick Lane, and also to see my maths department again (they're all just the same so it was awesome to see them, but then after that I did really miss school, especially after having a cheeky pint with Rosie). Saw the girls on Friday night too, which was good fun, but they are all fed up with work and looking to change jobs etc. It's the quarter-life crisis that seems to be hitting them all at the moment. I'm more than glad not to be in the city, that's for sure. Had a mini bit of drama on Friday night with X after seeing Mohs in the morning and realising I have quite a few things I need to sort out and be better about. Am still mostly ignoring it, but I reckon this year will sort a lot of things out and then I will have to be brave and just get on with it.

Right, it's dinner time and then we have a little pub quiz, and I wanna crack on with some work too because I'll be back in London later this week, so will sign off now. Hope all is well with you.