Thursday, October 16, 2008

Classes and stuff

So I've been very busy, what with it being 1st week and all. Lots of classes and work and reading and new society meetings and dinners etc. Nice and busy, I like it.

Had my first Sociological Analysis class today. Managed to do most of the reading, so felt pretty prepared, but once the class started I realised my essay was actually full of rubbish, whoops. That said, I think I did ok in the actual class, having had previous experience of the argumentative and on the spot pressure style of tutorials. Lots of other people looked kinda caught out, but once I realised he was choosing people to answer questions, I got my answers and points across early so I could avoid the trickier stuff! It was a difficult essay though, especially since it had a fair bit of economics in it as well as sociology, so that could've stumped people. Still, now we know what to expect, next week should be easier.

Apart from that had a tough and long stats class in the computer lab yesterday. Again it was a pretty steep learning curve, especially for people who had no experience of programming. Hopefully it'll get easier, but it was just taught so badly yesterday, in my opinion, that it scared people. Everyone looked totally stressed etc. but people seemed a bit calmer today.

I've noticed that masters students are a lot more serious and hardworking than regular undergrads. Maybe cos we're all paying lots of money to learn this stuff? I dunno. I like the challenge but am not into competing with people, I'd rather more collaboration.

Ok, better run, have lots more society meetings to get to. There's so much to do here that I wish I had more time! Not to mention even more work for next week...roll on the weekend!