Saturday, June 23, 2007

Family ramblings

A week away from school. Thank the heavens!

My middle brother didn't get the grades he needed to get on to his graduate medical course, so things are a bit up in the air for him. On the other end of the spectrum, my little brother came 5th in his year (well, outta 75, but it is Cambridge, so props to him) and has been allowed to switched to Natural Sciences (from Theology and Religious Studies - what a dramatic switch!) next year, so he's pretty psyched.

With all this news in hand, I went to the temple with my mother this morning. I like the temple, it makes me feel pretty calm. My mother likes it because she is really rather religious, and also because it's a nice social venue, where you can unexpectedly bump into all sorts of family and friends. My favourite highlight from today was when a friend of my late grandmother's saw me after a looooong time and asked what I was doing. When I said teaching, she said that it was an excellent profession since I could come home at 3pm every day and look after my husband and children. I'm not sure her perspective on our school situation is entirely valid.

Another thing that made me laugh today was as we were driving home I saw our new borough logo: Redbridge, a better place to live. This is a bit of a smack in the face for the borough of Newham, whose sign is about 50 metres away, but I guess Redbridge is a slightly better place to live. Approximately 3 mins after reading the sign, we were involved in an altercation with two rather horrid Eastern European chaps, who were in the car behind us and kept beeping and raging at us to cut through the red light so they could keep going. One of them got out of his car and came at shouted at me in the front passenger seat. He even invited me to lower my window - a request I politely declined. What has happened to our lovely little Jewish borough? Humph.

And finally, my ebayed digital camera arrived, yay, but sans cables, boooo!