Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Four weeks to go!

Plus plus plus next week I'm on second school placement, so not really school, and Y11 are obvy not coming back, and Y10 are on work experience for two weeks, so things should get better!

I sneaked home early on Monday after my last lesson of the day (end of period 3 - 12:10pm) justifying it to myself by claiming that it's just silly to expect someone to stay for 3 more hours just to cover a 20 minute tutor time. Sure there were probably useful things I coulda done in that time (marking, planning, WA4, the dreaded P word....PORTFOLIO!!!!) But no, decided I'd had enough and did a runner.

School is going ok, am a bit la-la land about it all really. Y8s went a bit mad today, one even stormed out of break-time detention. Called their parents etc. but the kids for the after school detention skived it, so have slapped them into the SLT detention on Friday. Had a department meeting, wasn't that interesting really. I still find that I hardly understand what they are talking about or why, but have hope that maybe one day I will.

Been covering 7E while their tutor gets over the shingles. 7E and I are not the best of friends, but I think we are making small improvements. The class has lots of weirdos in it and they are hard to control, but I think I am going to try and up my game with them a little bit. This afternoon's idea of talking about tips for the new Year 6 crashed like a lead balloon, but they soon got back on side when I let the well-behaved kids leave 5 minutes early. This is probably an unprofessional strategy, sending out all kinds of bad signals, but whatever.

Am more concerned about the camera I bought on ebay still not arriving - am convinced my postman nicks all my fun things, grrrr. Also have my first meeting with my careers coach tomorrow night, so need to think of some things that I want to achieve....hmmm....well top of the list is surely getting through the next four weeks!

PS Suggestions for the stress head include: counseling, happy pills, an extended leave of absence from work...essentially all kinds of things that I'm not interested in doing thank you very much. So will just have to get my head back in the game - can't be that hard.