Monday, September 28, 2009

Alumni weekend

Just a quick note to say that Alumni Weekend in Oxford was fantastic, if entirely random! Lots of old boys in proper college suits and ties, and then lots of internationals and hot young things all over campus. I didn't get to take part in any of the actual events because I was working, but there was a nice buzz around the place, and hopefully everyone who came had a good time.

The Wolfson dinner was brilliant - I realise I love chatting to old wise people who teach me things! Food was awesome, very intimate venue too (only small numbers turned out, which was fine with me!) and we got free Isaiah Berlin t-shirts too, albeit in super-large sizes! Every now and then the evening felt completely surreal, with me wondering how I had somehow ended up in this room in Oxford with poets and dames and all sorts of people I would never encounter in my regular life. I guess that's the joy of Oxford. I only wish more people could experience what I get to take part in. X looked super pretty :) We had a good time together, it's nice to have someone to go to these things with, who you can show off and be impressed by :) It was also nice not to be drinking - meant I could communicate coherently and not be hungover the next day, bonus! I did miss the port though.

Another week of telethon-ing to go. So far so good. Still loving being at Exeter and enjoying the lack of academic work. A bit nervous about starting next week but hopefully it'll be ok. Looking forward to being back in Waggytown for a wee bit to get my stuff. Also looking forward to doing some exercise soon - been eating far too much junk on the telethon!