Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Minimum effort

Just finished marking my Y8 books. A lovely procrastinated jobbie. My new strategy of getting the kids to mark in class, and me just do the comments in my frees, is working a treat - I almost have some time back in my life. Combined with my 50% effort as a teacher, well, school life is going pretty well. I am just either stamping down on things straight away and being super efficient, or just ignoring them entirely.

It's time to start counting days to half-term. Six more teaching days, plus one training day. Annoyingly I can't go to the HSBC maths day this Friday due to stupid bureaucracy in my school, and the megalomaniac tendencies of the one ultimately in charge, meaning I was led on a silly wild goose chase, and thus my kids have to miss out on the trip. Boo. On the plus side, this means I'll be around for our PGCE student's last day in school, and the maths' department curry in the evening, which will be good fun, despite all the DRAMA of our department (both in and out of school) recently.

What else is new? I'm being a hermit this week, returning to relaxing, which is wonderful. It's good to spend some time by myself, thinking a bit about some things. Not too much thinking, obviously, this will only lead to worrying and then stressing. Some gentle pondering and daydreaming is ok though. I am also addicted to Radio 4 now that we have no TV. It's ace, I feel like I am just accidentally passively absorbing all this stuff on American law while typing this, weird. I started listening simply for a news fix at 6pm, then kept listening for the 6:30pm sitcom, and now I've taken to leaving the radio on.

I had peanut butter on toast for dinner. I'm not sure this counts as a proper dinner, and I can smell chicken and mushrooms downstairs, so I shall go investigate.