Wednesday, May 07, 2008

A Ramble From School

I have 48 more teaching days left. This seems like a lot. I prefer to think in smaller goals – 18 days to Malta for example, yay!

Actually I am having a stellar day today. It’s lunchtime at school and the sun is shining and the report writing software isn’t quite working so I can’t write the 150 odd reports I have to do, so instead I am enjoying myself. I taught a good lesson with my Y8s – dividing with decimals, something I thought was difficult, but which they really jumped on. My Y10s too were good, mainly because loads were absent, and because I changed the seating plan, and because I was stricter and they just decided to work today. That was all good.

The best thing about today though is how I just woke up on the right side of the bed, and it was sunny, and so I am happy and smiling and feeling cheery. I think it is also to do with my new found ideas of survival and sufficiency and “taking it back to the old school”, in that so much of what modern society does seems pointless to me, so I am eventually going to just rid my life of it, and instead live on a nice tropical island by the sea and spend my days doing productive things like growing my own food and securing my own water and energy, and reading and writing and playing, just working on living rather than doing some pointless employment to get money so that I can live in our modern society. Sure, there are things in modern society that I value, like medicine and education and welfare etc. but there are lots of things that I would change, but seemingly can’t, so I guess I will just escape from them.

Anyway so I decided I would spread my good cheer and vision around the staffroom, which has genuinely worked wonders, if only with regards to making people smile. Loads of people shared their own visions with me, like moving to the Caribbean, living in the country, breeding dogs, not being hungover(!) etc. which was really cool since just on the news this morning they were saying how fewer than 50% of people meet and speak with at least one neighbour in a week – we are all just too busy rushing around to be involved in the neighbourhood. Thus I have decided that today I will reach out to my school community and plant little seeds of peaceful rustic life in them.

What else? I had an awesome weekend in Oxford and London, making me realise there is loads more to life that the daily stress and strain. I realised though that I have been bailing on things, like drinks and socials and stuff like that, mainly because other things have more priority. I think that perhaps I will have to stop the bailing and return to trying to do more things, since I know time is limited, but so are friends and so I should try and do more of their things with them. Just a bit more, but more all the same, I’m sure I can fit it all in. Besides, it’s only polite J

Right, it’s almost time for afternoon lessons. We are going to watch a maths video and do worksheets since the Y9s have had SATs all day. Plus it’s sunny outside, why work too hard?