Sunday, August 31, 2008

Holiday time!

I'm back! After being a bit slack with the ol' blog, I'm making a new effort to update more regularly. This will be easier in approximately one month's time, when I go back up to Oxford, as then I should hopefully be a wee bit more free, and life may be off more interest to you. Heehee, it's obviously always of interest to me :)

We've been doing lots of Tamil-type stuff this weekend - hosting some Tamil concert singers and then a wedding today. It's been quite full on, but good fun, and good feasting too! My mum is an excellent good and yesterday lunch was awesome (in particular tamarind rice and fried fish, yum yum!).

In other news, I am finally unemployed! Well, I have one day outstanding of consultancy work at MyBnk, but apart from that I won't be working again until around Christmas time, and then only if I need to. I guess I will need to as this MSc is costing loads of money - uni fees and college fees alone come to about six grand, which is a third of a year's NQT salary, yikes!

On Wednesday I am off to Vancouver for a little holiday, should be awesome, I can' wait! Have been browsing my guidebooks so we should have an action-packed time over there. I especially want to visit the aquarium, the museum of anthropology, and also the beach and gulf islands. Yeah, holiday!

I'll leave you with this article, which made me laugh, and has also given me yet another thing that I'm interested in researching - the public's attitude to state education. The author of this piece seems like one of the may people who view education as glorified baby-sitting. I love how she complains about what to do with her kids in the summer and how she wouldn't know what to do with them if she had to have them around any longer. Take a minute for the poor teachers who spend all year with them! My favourite line is towards the end, when she starts harping on about how the government should have more discipline when it comes to the scheduling of the school year - maybe she should have some discipline over her teenagers, then she wouldn't be so resentful over their summer activities!