Monday, May 07, 2007

Busy Weekend

I have lots of work to do. There's a surprise.

So my phone ran outta battery some time on Saturday morning, so apologies if I've not got back to you if you tried to get in touch. Crazy weekend. I will try and give you just the highlights, but you know what I'm like with the rambling.

School happened on Friday, pretty standard affair, nothing too exciting except I threatened some random child with an exclusion because he asked me if I was a "dyke" cos I taught football....how inappropriate! Plus I think "dyke" is in line with "paki" or "nigger" or "cripple" as offensive terms for things so had to cut that one down. I think the sports kit isn't really showing me off in the best light. Hahaha, anyway, he was pretty scared - I hope he doesn't realise I have no power at all to exclude anyone! I am proud of myself though - check me out challenging stereotyped views and standing up for equal opportunities and all that - Standard 3.3.14 all over!

Friday night went up to Oxford, had a few lovely drinks with Mouche, MeJij, Rouse & co. Mouche gave me a book and bought an excellent multi-sensory birthday present for MeJij. The Goooooose was just the same, I love it. Moved onto the Turf where there were lots of nice familiar faces and good catching up times to be had. Chatter was fuelled by numerous pints of Old Rosie, wicked stuff. Some unnamed people got pretty hammered and then there was a bit of a falling out. McDonald's was also involved at some point in the night (McPigeon Nuggets - gross!), alongside some deep and meaningful chats and all that drunken stuff. Essentially a fun night was had and a splitting hangover and sleep deprivation suffered the next day.

Not good since Saturday was graduation. Most of it passed by in a blur since there were many confusing moments and strange procedures. The whole thing was more or less in latin, and we had to bow at different people at different times and then walk to different rooms and wear our hoods and then walk back. Lots of stuff went on anyway, most of which I don't remember except for lunch (which was nice, and gave me a chance to knock back some wine, which woke me up substantially) and also lots of photographs. I did like wearing the crazy bat gown though, it's worth graduating just for that.

Missed the ball Sat night, but went up to Warwick with my family to take my brother out for dinner. Went to a nice Mexican restaurant and loaded up on deep fried cheese amongst other goodies. My father kept comparing tortillas to rotis and chapattis, and my Mum needed a steak knife to cut her chicken. My brother bought me a "bop-it" as a graduation gift, but I'm not letting myself open it yet, else the day will be written off (Bop-Its are like a bottle of SoCo to me). Good times.

Early start on Sunday for my cousin's wedding in Surrey. Was having sari nightmares - it get getting caught in the sequins of my shoes and also kept exposing my sari top - not appropriate for weddings! Lots of fun again though, maaaany cousins and family present, all of which keen to know how awful teaching is. Many bemused faces from people who seemed to think I was working in some kinda investment bank - also lots of disparaging commentary from my father about the exploiting of young graduates through TF, made me proud. Wedding passed well though with not too many tears from the little ones. Every wedding down is more pressure on the rest of us though - all the aunties and uncles spend ages winding us up about getting married and trying to introduce us to random sons of random other people. Apparently if you don't get married by 25 it will be much more difficult to catch one of the "good boys". I think I'll take my chances.

When we get the photos back, will post them up so anyone thinking I was bunking the Leadership Discovery Day will have proof that I wasn't!