Thursday, May 03, 2007

I hate my Y8s!

Yes, beware, this whole post is probably going to turn into a massive long rant.

I think I actually hate my Y8s. Today period 4 they were just out of control. I worry about my ability to teach - how can they get so crazy and how do I stop them?

Actually, I should just qualify these statements - they aren't all mad and I don't hate them all. In fact, there are a good six or seven in there that are perfect angels. Another four or five are manageable. But then there are some that I just cannot deal with - they drive me bonkers. To the extent today, in fact, that I missed half of period 5 because I was still so cross.

We were doing some work today based on CensusAtSchool, which I thought they'd find really fun, but the monster ones just kept complaining all the time about it and shouting and standing on their chairs and generally giving loads of attitude and not working. In retrospect I shoulda just got the Head of Department in to bollock them, but he was really stressed today too (everyone is at the moment, there's too much to do) so I tried to deal with it, but pretty unsuccessfully. One of them is still showing no remorse at all, and just doesn't seem to care at all. One of them isn't taking to me cos I called her Mum, but I don't really care about that. The rest, well, I am not looking forward to seeing them next week - they ruin my day.

I think the worst thing about it is that I thought I'd planned something really fun, and some kids were really getting into it, but then they all had to be stopped because of the behaviour of some kids. I think it might have just been too hard for them - they didn't understand how to measure themselves, or the angles between their fingers, or how they felt about politicians etc. Also, the seating plan was completely wrong - all the troublesome ones were sitting together to cause trouble.

No, actually, the worst thing was when I kept some of them in at lunchtime and I gave D, one of the naughty ones, who is already on red (head of year) report, a "two" on his report (he needs a "three" to stay out of trouble). D asks me why and I say it's because he's been shouting "shut up" all lesson. He explains that he was trying to help me control the class, and that in future he won't bother and leave them to mess about instead. It's sad but they listened to him more than to me.

Period 4 on Thursday with 8Y3 is my worst lesson of the week, almost every week.
Unfortunately this is when OFSTED are coming to see me. Great. I think I need a plan.

It's so bad though - I am dreading having to keep them on next year when they become year 9 and are thus even worse.

Ok good, I have got my ranting out of the way...hopefully when I write their reports later tonight, I won't be too cross. Or maybe I will be...little monsters.