Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Thinking other things today

I am having another quite unproductive day. Unproductive in the sense that I am ignoring my uni work. I am thinking once I wake up from my nap I HAVE TO DO SOME STATS but who knows whether that will happen? There's no real sense of urgency at the moment.

I've done some thinking about my research proposal at least. You would think this is a good thing. Actually it's not, in that I am thinking whether I really want do my research after all. Having looked at the WWOOF-ing Christmas newsletter I now have a fantasy of taking a year off and WWOOF-ing my way around the world, or the UK at least. Hmm. Must focus on something and stop daydreaming. Or, better yet, make my daydreams into real things.

In other news I have done some reading of AS Chemistry, all the while remembering Mrs Fine and all the fun "secret" end of term parties we used to have, ace! So far so good with the reading, although this is stuff for kids so it shouldn't be too hard. It made me realise how low-level it was when on p34 the sentence " 'inter' means between" appeared, followed closely by "van der Waals really is spelt with a small v - even at the beginning of a sentence". Oh dear.

Finished A Thousand Splendid Suns, felt very sad for Mariam and Laila and also all the people in Afghanistan and other places where women are treated so poorly and things are so bad. Went on to feeling bad for Sri Lanka and all the people in the war and the killings and bombings and destroyed stuff. Decided to stop feeling so bad and instead really appreciate what I have here and how lucky I am to have a loving liberal family and all the things (and more!) that I need. Perspective, yes. But still, poor people, and it's just luck where you're born, unless you believe in serious long-term karma. I don't know if I do, but then why else would people have to suffer so? I guess we just have to do the best we can with what we have and try and make use of our opportunities and help other people.