Tuesday, October 24, 2006

4 days into half-term (if you count the weekend) and my body is in shock. Getting enough sleep, enough food, enough alcohol(!) and not enough exercise and it doesn't know what to do with itself. Consequently it has decided it is injured/sick; my hamstring seems to be pulled and I am getting sniffley (I even cut short fun and games tonight to rest up, how bizarre). My only explanation for this is that my body has been deprived of luxuries for so long that now it has them, it can't cope. Teaching should come with a health warning.

In other news, it seems a growing number of Forest kids have been sucked into the vacuum that is Deloitte. Soon they will take over the world and everyone I know will be an accountant. Does it make me miss it? Hmm, ask me in a few months.

Mejij informed me today that she is being referred to as a nignog by one of her team-mates. She says she doesn't mind this banter cos it's all in good fun, which got me wondering whether it's ok to be racially offensive "if you're just joking"? I know that I, for one, do it all the time, and have often had to bite my lip at school cos offensive banter is always at the tip of my tongue. I hope it's not a symptom of some deep underlying prejudice (clearly any therapist would say that it is, but what do they know?)

I am much better at the political correctness when it comes to homosexuality. I'm part of what must be the moral minority, who try very hard not to refer to things that annoy them as gay e.g. "dang it, my car's been towed again, that's so gay". I even try and stop my kids staying things like that, although I'm not always immune to turning a blind eye. But is it really politically incorrect to say things like that, I mean, "if you're just joking"?

My kids always say to me "but everyone says it, Miss". But if people started saying "dang it, my car's been towed again, that's so nignog" there'd be an absolute riot (there would be at school anyway - any excuse for a riot!). Maybe I'll say it to see what happens. Or maybe not.