Tuesday, October 31, 2006

First day back at school, and it already feels like we've never left. Kids were hyper (to be expected, I guess, what with Halloween and all....oooooh scary!). Year 7 PE first lesson - cross country. "T" came first in the race last time, but is being very seriously badly influenced by "K" (a right madam - anger management classes and everything!) and thus the pair of them decided to walk the whole way round and come in last. Doing an extra lap didn't seem punishment enough, so they may well have to run it again. Don't know what they're complaining about - one cross country lesson per half-term is nothing compared to cross-country every week. In tiny PE shorts and vest. In the snow. Softies.

Feeling my age when I started lecturing the Year 11s against smoking and causing Halloween havoc. They think I am about 40, I love it.

Year 7s last lesson were absolutely off their nut. Not a good lesson to bring out scissors, glue, complicated nets etc. Technical difficulties let me down, then I managed to pull a blind off the window (don't ask). Kids were very confused and hyper, almost completely lost the lesson; they just kept chatting away and getting outta their chairs and just not listening, was really frustating. Luckily managed to save it towards the end, but not impressed with myself, need to get control of those monkeys and quickly.

Just as I was feeling really crap about the whole teaching lark, I marked the Year 8 half-term homework. Ever since Little S has been on report, she's really pulled her socks up, and put so much effort into her work that I've been really pleased. Her homework was perfect - correct answers, working out, even did the extra questions! I was inspired to call her guardian to tell her how well S is getting on (unfortunately couldn't get through, but will persevere). Brought hope back to my heart!

Had a laugh in kick aerobics. Was impressed by the contrast when the instructor's tape broke and so we had to wait two minutes. 25 ladies just chatted quietly and waited patiently. Complete opposite to my Year 7s, who go bananas when not occupied for a mere 10 seconds. Oh well.

Finally, had my day put in perspective by Wiltshire with her articles on Mathare (here and here). Reminded me to stop complaining and be happy. But I'm still convinced teaching is a vocation - who would do it otherwise?