Thursday, October 26, 2006

I was in the middle of planning lessons on pie charts for my Y11s, but I had to stop because I'm just so overwhelmed by how clever they are! What an amazing idea - get a pie, cut it into different slices, use the size of these slices to represent people's favourite soap operas (18 out of 60 people liked Neighbours the best, giving a slice of 108 degrees, good stuff). The only thing that could make it better were if pie charts were actual pies, which you could eat after you'd absorbed all the useful statistical information.

I was reading another teacher's blog on TES the other day called "How Not To Teach". This blog is great; just when I feel I've reached the peak of my jadedness, Mr Read proves week after week there is so much further to go. He is very funny though, I appreciate funny. And further, his blog is being published as a book, which got me thinking, maybe if I actually made my blog funny and interesting (as opposed to a big old rant) then maybe someone will pay me to write it? On Neighbours (my other great source of knowledge...the first being Wikipedia) Boyd and Janae were raking it in by putting a webcam on their blog and running "dancing Toad" competitions. Maybe this is a potential money spinner for me too...I mean, who wouldn't want to try and get a picture of my "dancing Dad"?

I have also become even more obsessed with fruit teas, going to the extreme length of purchasing tea with my own money rather than "borrowing" from the gym. It's just so pretty watching the colours diffuse from the tea bag into the hot water, although clearly those colours come from chemicals, as opposed to healthy, wholesome, natural ingredients. Oh well.

This afternoon we're having an epic Teach First drink-a-thon. I reckoned it should be the "monopoly pub crawl", but fear that we will be parked in Wetherspoons all afternoon. Oh dear (she says gleefully).

And finally, the songs I love at the moment (almost as much as I love italics!):

John Legend - Save Room
Fish Go Deep (feat. Tracey K)- The Cure & The Cause
Cassie - Long Way To Go
Chamillionaire - Grown and Sexy
And the whole "Step Up" soundtrack.

My gosh, I'm one of those embarrassing teachers who's "down with the kids". Or at least thinks she's "down with the kids". Cringe.