Tuesday, January 16, 2007

My day

I know there are at least two budding TFTs (TF trainees) reading this blog, so I thought I'd give you a run down of a day-in-the-life. Despite the hecticness, I don't think I'd change much of it really.

7:45am - arrive at school and sort out lesson plans for the day.
8:00am - prepare a letter to send to parents about the football tournament on Friday.
8:20am - morning staff meeting:cock up my message about football practice on Thursday leading to kids asking me all day if the practice is tomorrow; also sort out risk assessment forms.
8:40am - Y7 PE: timed exercises, but I forget what some of the exercises are and the main PE teacher isn't there so I confuse the girls instead.
9:45am - Y8 maths: much improvement on multiplying and dividing by powers of ten, but why-oh-why didn't they do this in primary school?
10:45am - break, most of which is spent telling off naughty year 8 boys and looking for squared paper, manage to wolf down a banana.
11:05am - Y11 maths coursework: aaaaargh, how can you get kids to write up coursework when their English is so weak? Surprisingly, working on computers seems to help with language, so might do more of that.
12:10pm - Y10 maths: take 5 kids out to do a test on charts, try and mark Y11 papers, fail to complete it.
1:10pm - lunch break: 40 minutes of the hour spent helping Y11s with coursework in the computer room. 15 minutes eating lunch. Manage to finally get a master key for the main school, exciting!
2:10pm - Y7 maths: kids thrown by algebra but very impressed by the online psychic, surprise visitors of the Principal and mystery guest didn't help with concentration.
3:10pm - tutor time: deliver letters to footballers
3:30pm - catch my after school detention kids before they run away home.
5:00pm - finally leave school after finishing the detentions and helping Y11s after school.

Subsequently I have been to the gym, practised the piano (don't expect too much though Jade!), watched a program about kidneys, checked my emails, written in The Journal and made my lunch for tomorrow. Now it is 4 minutes to bed time. What a busy day. But really, a good one.