Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Wise horoscopes

Firstly a big shout-out to Puja - well done! See, now I feel loved :) And contrary to popular belief, Puja is real. As is Mouche. And my cat. One day you will all be able to meet each other and certify your mutual existence. This day will probably be my wedding, so there'll be cake and saris involved (an unexpected bonus for you all!).

So, what's new today? Well, I think my Metro horoscope says it all:

‘I can see clearly now, the rain has gone,’ sang Jimmy Cliff (amongst others) and that’s your theme for the moment. Scales have fallen from your eyes. Illuminating insights about a person or situation flood in. Like what you see?

Indeed the rain does seem to have gone. And by that I mean, even when the little monsters try and destroy my soul, I can leave it behind me and move on. Let me quickly touch wood now [touches wood] because I don't wanna go back to what it was like last term. But really, I'm reaching a turning point. I'm starting to care about what I teach, and think about interesting and fun and engaging ways to teach it. I'm starting to do all that stuff we were always meant to be doing (differentiating resources, providing EAL support, modelling positive values, taking an interest in my professional development). Despite having an awful awful Y8 lesson (that little monster D is going on maths department report from tomorrow, he is sabotaging that class's learning) I still feel like today that I could be a teacher in the long-run. Yes, I know this contradicts the whole medicine plan, but it's nice to know that sometimes maybe I have found something that's right for me.

In other news, I'm very pleased it's the year of th
e pig. What a noble creature. Some useful excerpts:"People born in the Year of the Pig are chivalrous and gallant. Whatever they do, they do with all their strength. For Boar Year people, there is no left or right and there is no retreat. They have tremendous fortitude and great honesty. They don't make many friends but they make them for life, and anyone having a Boar Year friend is fortunate for they are extremely loyal. They don't talk much but have a great thirst for knowledge. They study a great deal and are generally well informed. Boar people are quick tempered, yet they hate arguments and quarreling. They are kind to their loved ones. No matter how bad problems seem to be, Boar people try to work them out, honestly if sometimes impulsively. They are most compatible with Rabbits and Sheep." (not sure what the school would say if I got "compatible" with a sheep...)

Sound like me? I feel kinda like I should be an elephant, but pig suits me fine :) Check your Chinese horoscope out here (this site's description of "pig" people is almost me to the tee. Ooh rhyming!