Sunday, January 28, 2007

Old Furies Weekend

Aaah finally I was old and decrepit enough to play for the Oooooold Furies in the annual Old vs New game. A wonderful warm-up in the lead to varsity, the New Furies this year took the game seriously, partly I am sure because their noble (and ethnic) leader MePij warned them that if they lost, she would make them wear the canary kit forever (a horrible punishment). The match took place on Saturday in perfect football weather, especially with the sun in our eyes adding llitres of drama to the match (yes, drama is a liquid).

So highlights:

1. Seeing and playing football with the girls again...aaah good times, I love that lot, they make me laugh, and despite being a knob sometimes, they mostly forgive me. Especially pleased because my knee held up without bionica :)

2. Driving up and back with no problems at all. What a breakthrough on the driving front! Saved time and money too, although admittedly wasn't great for the environment. Particularly pleased with a first time reverse park into Jij's road, and also managing to turn the car round without doing a 20-point turn.

3. Drinking, but not drinking too much. Well done me :) Although still feel rubbishly hungover, maybe that's the cumulative drinking? Or the drinking games...?

4. Being able to shout out "gypsies" lots and lots, without getting in real trouble, woo, a dream come true!

5. Comedy football itself. I love comedy football. And wombats too.

6. Restarting plans to go to China this summer, very exciting!

Lowlights:

1. Pilau Sprouse breaking her thumb and getting a "gooseegg" on her head and on her nose. Still, guess it wouldn't be a Furies social without some kinda drunken misdemeanour. Poor Spouse.

2. Random people on Cowley Road asking me if I'm from India or Pakistan...why do they even care?

3. Getting minimal sleep (although I did get to sleep under a dressing gown...bonus!)

4. People being upset about stuff, but hopefully they are not any more....

5. That chemical tea. Yuck. But still, waste not want not.

6. Losing 1-0...though this is probably good for the Nuries morale.

7. Sending random drunken texts and then cleverly emptying my outbox so I can't see what I sent or to whom. Dang it, sometimes I am too devious for my own good.

That's all I can remember for now (apart from numerous references to PowerPoint presentations, but I can't think what they were meant to be about...), but it was still a blinding weekend, and I'm pleased the Furies dynasty lives on!