Saturday, March 01, 2008

Highlights from the End of the Week

It's Saturday morning, woo! I woke up at half nine, just cos. Awesome! I am not even hungover from last night, despite drinking cocktails AND champagne, dangerous combos, so that's also awesome! Went to a cool little Scottish cocktail bar called Doon in Traf Sq - have a friend born on 29th Feb, so it was his 6th birthday party, cue lots of childish cards and badges etc. hahahaha.

Inspection feedback - we were "good". That is seriously good, since schools are rated outstanding, good, satisfactory, and unsatisfactory, and for a school that's had so much drama, this rating is ace. The maths department were named as "a beacon of excellence", woah. Obviously we are, but they only saw one maths lesson, and then seemed to watch us maths teachers teach PSHE, so not sure what they based it on. Must be our stellar Head of Department, and all our statistics. Our department is in the top 2% nationally with regards to value added scores (how much the kids improve from 11 to 14).

The head of Y8 had her last day on Friday. Kids were high as kites, everyone very emotional, there were crying kids (and teachers!) everywhere. She was properly ace at her job, I'm dreading the rest of term where we have no-one to do this job for us and keep the kids in line.

Y9 parents' evening on Thurs night was exhausting, and pretty emotional too. Really proud of my class - in their SATs mocks half of them got level 5cs, which is so many more than I'd expected. I want to get almost all of them into level 5 when they take the proper ones in May. It was emotional because loads of the parents were really pleased and grateful about how their kids were doing in maths. And then this boy S, I see him last, and he and his mother ramble on and on about how much S loves maths now and how he can't wait for me to teach him again next year and how I'm a lovely teacher etc. (see how my head gets big?) and on the one hand this makes me feel great, and on the other it makes me feel awful, because all these kids are making plans, and I'm not around to be there for them. More and more people at school have found out that I'll be leaving, it's awkward and difficult, I feel like a traitor. Sigh.

On to happier things - have decided to plan all my lessons now and do my Y12 marking, then I can play all weekend. But first, let's check out the TES for international jobs, I miss the sun!