Monday, March 31, 2008

Last week of term!

I have three and a half days left to teach this term. Awesome! That's only 12 lessons since Friday is the 1pm finish day, and I only actually teach lesson one that day.

Tomorrow it will be April. One quarter or 0.25 or 25% of the chronological year has gone. Two thirds of the academic year. I ask again, where has it gone?

I have a lot of work to do. Marking-wise I am about three weeks behind with most of my classes. Despite this, I am struggling to make myself actually mark through. For example, today after the year team meeting I got home 6ish and decided to get my Y10 books out of the way. Figured I could do it in an hour. Only really started marking about 2 hours later. Whoops. I bought some stuff on Amazon, answered all my emails, messed about on Facebook, called some people, read the papers online etc. It's so easy to distract myself. Boo, this weekend, the first of the holiday, may end up being all about marking.

Planning too is out of the window. I winged the day today, which was ok actually since I only taught three lessons and I had already planned one of them before. I've noticed that now I've pretty much taught every topic, it's a little bit easier, since I already know good ways of teaching them. That said, next term I will need to get back on form, particularly if I want to pass my NQT year! My folder is looking pretty barren.

The week is busy. It's Y11 awards ceremony tomorrow night. We are all grumpy about having to go since we didn't teach many of them and it's a long evening of boring speeches etc. I suppose it is a celebration of achievement, but when you have so much work to do it feels like time could be better spent. Would I spend it better though? I guess I'll just take Gilead along with me :)

Weds night is a G&T training meeting for the HEAPS Program for which I'm an Advocate. Should be good stuff I think, I'm enthusiastic about this program. But again, I should be working. Or at least going to the gym.

What else is new? I saw Bertie in Wendover this weekend, was awesome, it's proper villagey countrysidey and I loved it. There's something about living in London that makes me want to escape. X had a party on Saturday night, which was good drunken fun. A few more people know about X now, which is a good feeling I think. Weekends are like holidays, but then weekdays are like work. That's a deep sentiment.

Some important geography:

- the capital of Tibet is Lhasa
- the Argentinian plains are called Pampas

Last horoscope of this term, not really sure what it's about:

Few situations are more uncomfortable than those in which you must question those whose actions you regard as suspect. Obviously, you would prefer the luxury of having reliable information, but with so much in transition, facts arrive piecemeal. If you’re right, something must be done. Ironically, others are well aware of problems, and the more forthright you are in expressing those concerns, the better things will go. The surprise is that they’ve also been wondering what you’ve been up to. Once you’re speaking frankly, promise to keep it up. That’s because, while you may have cleared up the current crop of mysteries you’re facing, yet more are promised next week.