Monday, March 17, 2008

Naughty Kids, Good Lessons, and Time

Monday week B is over. There are only 12 teaching days left of the term. And then I'll just have one term left of my NQT year. Where is the time going? In equal parts it seems to drag and rush by, and now it's my "half-birthday" and half of my time being 24 is up, and where has it gone?

My classes are ok for the most part. I taught some good lessons today, using this fun starter activity in all the maths ones. I'm more and more convinced that if the kids get into the starter, then the lesson is a good one. So now I will do my best to make the starters accessible and fun, as they should be.

C is back in my Y10 class after parents' evening last Thursday. He was good today, I think because at parents' evening I told most parents their kids were not going to get C grades at this rate, which shocked them a bit, good.

Crazy H pushed an LSA three times today, got kids to throw books at him, and also had a fight in his Art lesson. He's lost the plot, I don't know what to do with him. Similarly with another C, who was moved to my tutor group because his other tutor couldn't stand him, and now he is starting to go back to his old ways, including punching someone today, and also being accused of indecent behaviour. Our school is so up and down.

In other news, tonight is my chill night, and I should be marking, but due to the joys of Good Friday, I've been setting homework from today, so I only have one lot of books to mark, excellent! The rest of my week is pretty busy, as is my life generally, although recently I find myself bailing on things to spend more time with X. I think it's because I've started of thinking of time as my most limited resource so I may as well do what I most want to do with it. A good plan I think. We're going to Stonehenge this weekend, should be good fun. Have also booked my Spring holiday to Toronto, whoop whoop! Just gotta get through the 12 days first, I'm optimistic. And dramatic. In equal measures.

My horoscope:

Every Virgo respects the need to be painstaking when dealing with delicate situations, which is exactly what you’re facing now, and have been for weeks. Although it may not seem as if this process — which has been tedious and intriguing in equal parts — is coming to a close, it does, and suddenly. So say whatever you must and gather whatever facts you still need during the week’s first half. This frees you, so that when the focus shifts to practical matters, just before the week’s close, you’re ready. What’s more, this is so contentious that you’re relieved you familiarised yourself thoroughly with the minutiae involved. Better yet, in clearing up these problems, you’ll eliminate a few others as well.