Saturday, March 08, 2008

Saturday morning - don't want to work yet

I am procrastinating. It is going well. The lesson planning, however, is not.

This week has been really busy. Now that I finally have a chance to sit and reflect for a bit, I am taking it, and thus struggling to actually do the things I am meant to do, and have to do, today.

Highlights and lowlights include the TF Women in Leadership Event on Weds. It was that event last year that sparked my demise in teaching, in that S and I went out on a bender and then school became tough. Not that the two events are directly correlated. The speakers were good. One was hilarious - she kept making random outlandish statements, and actively contradicting other speakers and putting them down. I think all people named Julia are a bit eccentric. The overall message was that we had to compromise and prioritise, but we could get what we wanted so long as we were driven enough. Never heard that one before(!) Saw a friend from uni afterwards - she's on a year abroad and she reads this I think, so here's your name check R...was good to see you, hope things are chirpy!

I forget about people who don't have to work the next day, and thus try and drink with them, error. I really should learn that mid-week fixtures are for the most part just not on. Thursday day-time was a right-off, which was unfortunate since I had a parents' evening. That was a nightmare - Y8, so my maths group AND my tutor group. Was still there after 9pm having done 150 mins of solid speaking to various concerned/irate parents. Also I thought some of the kids in my tutor group had given me their disgusting eye infections, but fingers crossed I have escaped.

What else? Teaching was ok, standard dramas, manageable. Oh, except the whole "failing the year" thing, but I've decided to ignore that for now. Had a lovely dinner with the girls last night, some good chatter and gossip + managed to deflect any serious chatter that was aimed my way (although they did pin me down in the end). I love going out for Indian food, it's ace, particularly when it's really good food, yum yum.

Ok, I think I'll book my April escape to Toronto now. It IS on the to-do list, so I don't think it counts as a distraction.