Thursday, April 19, 2007

Autograph training

Oh my gosh, check out my Metro horoscope today:

You may be consumed by the need to fix someone at some point today. But if your knight-on-a-white-charger act is un-called for, if they don’t want your advice or help, it could well blow up in your face. Just ask beforehand whether they want some support.

How crazy is that? And yes indeed I am thinking about meddling, although haven't got round to anything yet since I'm outta text messages, and everyone knows all the best meddling is done by text. So yes, person who requested meddling, who will also remain unnamed for legal purposes, I am contemplating getting my spoon out and stirring that pot right up, heehee.

In other news, went to a training course (Continual Professional Development - CPD) at the Institute of Education on Autograph today. Was a revelation - it's so powerful! All I could do before was just about join two points with a line, but now I've learnt to do sooooo many things such as drawing histograms, using it to solve equations, and teaching transformations (reflections, rotations etc.) just to name a few! Am very excited about practising this in class tomorrow, where obviously my whiteboard will crash and I will have to go back to my old ways. But until that moment, well, there's lots of potential there.

I love training courses too because it reminds you why teaching is really exciting, especially when you get to meet lots of inspiring teachers and share good practice etc. I am now gonna do my best to get on as many courses as possible so that I can become a super-teacher, like the hilarious e-card Ladun sent me (thank you Ladun!)

And finally, both my mother and father mocked my accent/dialect in separate incidents today. This morning, on the way out of the house, I said something (I can't remember what) and my father replied "because of the refridgerator". Now, this made no sense since I hadn't been talking about fridges, but this is what he had heard. I explained that he was talking nonsense but to no avail since the original conversation point was over. Instead my father began a glorious lament on the decline of my accent all the way to the station. I blame school. He blames school too. We are united on this front. I guess this is what happens when you set-up shop in East London/Essex - I'm sure I warned him about this when we moved here (yes I was 7, but already a finely tuned sociological machine). Later, at dinner time, I sat down next to my mother and jokingly said something that ended with the words "safe innit bruv". My mother started laughing and then looked at me with the same face she uses when I have sworn in her presence. No more "innit bruvs" from me then.

Woo it's almost the weekend! Just gotta get through my first of maaaaany observations tomorrow.