Saturday, April 21, 2007

Pirate Punting

Aaaah it is a lovely sunny Saturday and I have nothing pressing to do, blissful :) So what are the highlights? Well, first week of school is done and went pretty well indeedy. Next week my Y8s are on exams so no lessons with them (I think...need to check that!) hence it should be another good week. Had a great observation by my subject mentor with Y11 on Friday morning - pretty chuffed about that. Also had a pretty good group work lesson with Y7 on Friday afternoon including a bit of Autograph and all :)

Today Spurs drew with Arsenal, keeping European hopes alive :) Also my hangover is receeding and I am hoping my "weekend cold" disappears soon. Went to Loic's last night, which was really good fun. Lots and lots of teachers there, which was great because all conversation dissolved into teacher-talk. I remember when I first started how annoying it was to hear people talk about school stuff all the time but now I can't help but do that, and in fact love discussing school matters with other teachers to the extent that normal forms of conversation are almost entirely forgotten. Strange how things change.

Managed to get the phone number of a hilarious gay man and Chinese woman comedy duo, both teachers in maaaad schools like us, thus proving I am still a magnet for the gays and the minorities, excellent. Not sure why I am hungover though, I think I only had about 7 units, which isn't massive for me. Humph.

Ooooh and the most exciting thing I learnt about last night (apart from what management consultants actually do - despite how boring that sounds, it was an interesting discussion - I think I could be a management consultant since it's all about fixing things, my favourite) was pirate punting. Loic lives in Cambridge and loads of his buddies from there were at the party and they described how they used to jump off the bridges over the Cam and land in random people's punts and then give them guided tours in return for treats! Sometimes they just used to jump from punt to punt, but Loic said he managed to jump off the Mathematical Bridge and land in a punt, which is crazy high! I can't believe more people didn't get cross at the them, but apparently after the initial shock most people loved them! One of the guys even "pirated" (well, was given) a free hotel pass from some random hotel owner whose punt he boarded. They also used to make up random stories about the history of Cambridge, famous alumni etc. and the tourists lapped it up. I really wish I coulda seen it.