Sunday, April 29, 2007

RateMyTeacher.co.uk

Sunday morning. Despite having not yet planned a lesson this weekend, I have been busy busy with other forms of paperwork. I tell you, there is just too much to do alongside actual teaching. So I have prepared a mini-Autograph presentation for our study day in blinking Canters on Tuesday. I have researched investigations for KS3. I have written a template for the Y8 full reports due this Friday, so hopefully I can just change the relevant bits for each kid. I have described my pastoral contribution to the school for my teaching file. Up coming things to do include marking the Y7 end of year tests, completing the risk assessments and sorting out the football team for Tuesday, and administering my detentions.

Yep, detentions are back on the list for this week - I already have 2 hours of them lined up on Monday and Thursday, boo. It's so annoying, when you set a detention you're the one being punished cos you have to sit through each of them. But still, J in Y7 so deserved one for being an absolute monster in a cover PE on Friday. We have new incident sheets where you can tick what the child has done to deserve the punishment, but annoyingly there is no tick box for if the child has just been a complete bitch for no reason. She says her Mum will pull her out of school next week so she won't be at my detention - gosh I hope so.

In other news, heard about this website www.ratemyteacher.co.uk. Can't figure out if it's an excellent teaching evaluation tool or a massive forum for slagging off your school. So far it seems pretty responsible, but then again, my school isn't on it! I did like the suggestion from one of the posters that there should be a ratemypupil.co.uk sister site where the bitching can fully commmence, forgetting all intentions to be a source of constructive feedback.

Have been listening to Virgin radio, this is alarming, there is no ghetto gangsta type music on it, but I am starting to like it. It's better than Sunrise radio at any rate, where this morning there was a wonderful debate about why "british asian youth want to be gangsters". Lots of enthusiastic middle aged men called up and complained how kids just aren't the same these days. Seems Asian kids are just as bad as the rest of them. Any hint of a constructive solution? Well, one man suggested we bring back heavy industry so that these good for nothing boys have something to do. Another suggested that we teach them to fight with their hands and for something that matters so that they could be real men. Not quite sure either of those will quite thwart the rising gangsta culture in Asian communities.