Sunday, March 25, 2007

Noor's Birthday

I had planned this whole post on the Tube journey home from Noor's birthday drinks. Obviously it was full of wit and wisdom and other positive things. Sadly though, whilst sipping my hot chocolate and watching MTV (as I am wont to do after a few drinkies), I was shocked to find the time on the cable screen jump forward an hour. This shock (of the clocks going forward for those of you still confused) promptly knocked all thoughts of the post right outta my head. So, I will have to make it up as I go along.

Firstly, the backs of my ankles are slightly cut up, thus once again proving the age-old adage "the prettier the shoe, the more it'll hurt". Secondly, apologies to Disney for not being able to make the shenanigans tonight, am gutted...one day soon we will be reunited in the Goose...till then I can only dream. Thirdly, I just received a text from my lil bro saying "please can you find a space for Narcissa's tank". He is coming home tomorrow, along with his delightfully named goldfish, Narcissa. The other one, Ratzinger (named after the Pope for the confused ones who've opted to continue reading - gold stars for perseverence), passed away, and was remembered in a moving ceremony on the top of the Cripps building, where he was charred to ash.

So, on to Noor's birthday. Highlights:

  • St. Stephen's Tavern, the shin-dig venue, was nowhere near as busy or expensive as I had expected. A truly lovely pub right next to Westminster tub with comfy seating, rapid service, and friendly staff to boot - well worth a visit.
  • Noor - so funny and sweet and her smiley self. Happy birthday you crazy Iraqi!
  • Yeen - a solid appearance after a 6 hour long first date with some lad she met at Guanabara last weekend. Excellent, the matchmaker in me fills with warmth at the prospect of a second date there. And a big boooooo to her subject mentor - how do these awful people get positions of responsibility in schools? If I ever get promoted, please keep me in touch with what I came from.
  • Gid - I love him and his abs! And now his Calvins and his tanned skin too. Shame he's gay, he's adorable. I wonder who I can set him up with....
  • Hattie, Sarah and Lizzie - the rest of the TF girls who turned out tonight, full of stories and banter, I do love them (Ginger - booooooo, what happened to you?)
  • CK - so camp and silly, the more I see him the more I question his existence. Kidding. I do like the fact that his forearm is longer than my ankle-to-start-of-thigh length. And that he calls my kids "shites".
  • Noor's friend Sarah - works for Deloitte in Jersey and was very proud of the day-long drinking culture there. Practically convinced me to apply. Also, she wore a wig due to alopecia and was very positive and brave when speaking about this, so props to her for sharing and inspiring. Plus told a hilarious accountancy joke: What did the accountant do when he had constipation? He worked it out with a pencil. Yuck! Heeheee.
With regards to other things I like, current tops include afternoon naps, feeling the sports pedals of my car with my bare feet, reading the Guardian blogs, and looking forward to treating my kids with sweets. Life is good today.