Monday, March 26, 2007

Wellbeing

I think I'm outta the funk. I don't wanna speak too soon, and perhaps it's because there're only 4 days left before the Easter break, but I feel a distinct ache on my face - the consequence of the return of my smile. Good stuff.

So, something I've just been reading rather than planning for Year 8 tomorrow. I mean, surely it's a good idea to reward your most badly behaved class with lots of sweets and games rather than algebra during their last few lessons?

It's a loooong Observer article about "Wellbeing" lessons and positive psychology, but worth a read. I'm gonna go to bed instead of summarising it for you, but I actually think teaching kids strategies to be happier would be a good thing (although I guess it's still debatable whether happiness can be taught or whether tendency towards happiness is something inherent within our characters). Either way, more Circle-Time material :)

Before I go, here are the ten tips from "Making Slough Happy" (courtesy of NetMums) - wellbeing tips if you wish...

Count your blessings each day

Have a good laugh every day

Cut TV viewing by half

Plant something and look after it

Get physical

Talk time – an hour conversation
with good friend or partner once a week

Say hello to a stranger every day

Phone a friend or relation

Treat yourself and enjoy it

Daily kindness – do a good turn