Friday, March 30, 2007

Yippeeeeeee!!

Yes, that yippee can only be about one thing...making it to Easter break! I am patting myself on the back as I speak, making it a little difficult to type. Indeed, there were occassions during this term where I doubted I would make it, but good thing time just kept on rolling forward. And now here we are with a glorious two weeks off!

The kids were absolutely lovely today, perhaps because we had "fun" lessons and it was a half day. I bonded with my Y11s and joked with the Y9s, which was ace. The KS3 and KS4 assembly singing went great, I'm still on a high from it! The kids were all so excited and joined in with Stand By Me and we all danced around on stage too, it was so funny! We even had kids waving their hands side to side like in concerts and ooooohing with the backing singers. Aside from the staff band, there were some excellent singing and drama pieces from Y10 and Y11, plus everyone got a Cadbury's Creme Egg at the end of it (bribery from SLT, but whatever!). We got everyone outta school by 2pm and then it was bliss. So, yes, we ended on a high.

In other news, on Thursday I caught some Y10s bunking maths by hiding in the fire exit. The whole area stank of skunk and so I filled in a report suspecting them of using drugs in school. Obviously they ran away before I could get SLT to check their bags, and obviously they are denying it, but if they get an exclusion for this, that'll take my tally to seven. This will leave me needing three more to get to my year end target of contributing to ten exclusions (temporary, not permanent). Sure, it's awful to aim for something like this but if you think of it as enforcing discipline, well, it's not so bad. Plus, seriously, how audacious - to bunk maths and then take drugs during the lesson instead, shocking!

I'm on my way out now, but some solemn advice for the TFs can be found here (read particularly the first comment - that guy is clearly a bit of an English teacher). And also check out the video below of kids from my school. They're all from the year before I started, but it'll give you an idea of what they're like. Am especially made all warm inside by the backing track to the piece, and also that some of them were sweet enough to have made it.