Thursday, July 26, 2007

The Canterbury Tales

I didn't start this blog till after the Summer Institute last year, so I've had to wait a long time to use "the Canterbury Tales" as a title. Still, better late than never.

So, a whistle-stop tour of our three days in Canterbury. We:

  • presented our WA4s to the '07s
  • shared resources and ran workshops with the '07s
  • completed our final QTS portfolio checks and interviews
  • set two new targets for our NQT year
  • learnt about rights and responsibilities for our NQT year
  • got introduced to the GS Learning Log (part of a 3 year research project to try and measure the impact TF teachers have had with regards to achieving the TF mission)
  • enjoyed a delightfully cheesy TF QTS ceremony
A very busy 3 days indeed. My WA4 went down a treat, despite having a choking fit in the middle of it. Comparing my Y8s to the Sesame Street Bunch (cos they are all very strange, and because they seem nice enough on the outside, but could cause trouble at any moment!)

and my Y11s to the Ocean's 13 gang (cos they were just too cool for school)

got me a barrel of laughs, as did the slides where the spell-check had changed all the "maths" to "moths", which I didn't notice until I was reading out "I have tried to incorporate real-world moths into my classroom this year". Aside from my own, I was thoroughly impressed with the other presentations I saw - we've come so far this year; WA4 is a wonderful celebration of this.

It was great working with the '07s - we saw them micro-teach, very impressive stuff. Also set up a resources carousel for them, which was good fun. Again, it was highly evident how much we've learned and developed over the year - I wouldn't want to go back to the state of impending doom most of them seem to be in at the moment! That first term is oh so tough, I don't think I could do it again.

Finally the end of QTS ceremony. Our CEO made a hilarious video featuring clips from the Wizard of Oz, the Lord of the Rings, and Gladiator, all of which were meant to represent our teaching journey. The barbershop boys sang their funny song again. We were praised by and applauded all the TF staff and our tutors. We watched our SI music video again.

And finally we had the participants' diaries, which were the real highlight - so honest and heartfelt and just downright funny. My favourite bit was R's story about how one day he was marking his books and heard a boom in the room next door. He ignored it until he heard another loud crash. Reluctantly he wandered next door and found a load of rowdy Y10s causing chaos for a supply teacher. Standing in the doorway, he found himself doing that thing that no-one has ever taught us, that's not in any book or guide or anything. It's just something that, at moments like this, just comes from deep within - the barking of the seal.

"Errrrrrrr," he said, pointing at one child. "Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr," he said, facing another. "Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr," he said, glaring at yet another. The barking continued as child after child stopped in their tracks and returned to their seat. Eventually the room returned to normality. Returning to his own classroom afterwards, he wondered if it had all really happened, before shouting out in glee. I think we've all had a moment like that.