Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Y6 induction day; even newer teachers than me!

Life is still tough. My HoD has once again suggested to me that I take some time off. Humph. I think my generally surly demeanour is warranting attention. I really need to find my smile again. I'm sure it's in my pile of teaching paraphernalia somewhere.

Portfolio still doesn't exist, crumbs! On the plus side, my Y7 and my Y8 books are now marked up to scratch, only 2 hours of work! Also have evaluated my submitting units of work, caught up on the journal, and written up all my observed lesson evaluations. Gosh, look at all that paperwork - is that what we got into this for? Well, rather the paperwork than the politics (I think two more people have been asked to leave/have resigned in the last week, it's awful).

Y6 induction day today. Some lovely and very bright ones; also some rather boisterous and potentially very challenging ones. Heard a rumour that one turned up in a jumpsuit and hoodie with matching diamante earring. Said boy had a freak out during an English lesson - told his English teacher to "f*ck off", hurled a chair across the room and then stormed out. Nice. I look forward to it. Maybe I'm lucky not to have a tutor group after all.

Last CFG (Critical Friends Group) was tonight. Met most of the '07s from our area. Can't believe how young and innocent they all are. Actually, more like I can't believe how old and wise I sound. They're all desperate to hear advice on teaching, which is understandable - you hear so many scare stories that you cling to anything that might help. Tried to reassure them, and also secretly felt quite proud at how far we've all come. One of the other '06s in my school has just become second in department in science - props to her indeed :) In truth though, as much as other people's tips can help, it's not until you're in your school with your own classes that you can really start to develop as a teacher.

In other news, thought I'd give you a health update. Hair still not being washed with product; it's thicker and wilder than ever. Needs a trim actually. Have definitely gone down a trouser-size and there's some serious flattening of the stomach. Have a shocking sore throat - if I could lop my tonsils out with a spoon I think I would. In preparation for some serious weekend hangover - got some big birthday lashes lined up. Oh and maybe a bit of work for the old final assessment!

And finally, a shout out to Mr Read and his blog - thanks for the name drop and keep up the good work, very entertaining reading! And for the reminder that there's time for fun in all of this madness!