Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Some inspiring perspectives

First, some good quotes from the day:

K (the Science TF at my school): "the poor can't help the poor."
E (the English TF at my school): "oh no, I'm not sad, I'm just destroyed."
My little bro: "that's the most use you can get out of a theology degree - putting down tramps on the train".

The fire alarm was set off twice today. Cheeky monsters. I think it must have gone off more than ten times this year, and by gone off I mean deliberately set off. There needs to be some serious tightening of the strings here - the kids are just plain having a laugh. I missed 30 mins of one free and my afternoon lesson with my Y7s was messed up, which was a shame since I took them to the computer room to treat them for how good they were yesterday. I will have to think of something else to do with them because they really were stars.

Speaking of thanking people, I had a very deep and meaningful chat with K (above mentioned) today. She's quite a secretive person, and over the year I've made jokes about how we could never be friends because neither of us would share anything, but in fact we have become pretty close. Today was her assessment and it sounded like it went well for her, so I hope she gets a good grade. Anyway, we were chatting in the teachers' resources room (aka the rubbish computer room) and she was telling me about her goals and visions and stuff. She was just so enthused, it was amazing to see. She wants to teach kids about life skills and perspective and potential - basically teach them how to drive for more. She's a natural mentor - I can see it in her whenever I talk to her she just makes you say whatever is on your mind, it's a gift really. She's just become second in science but she has much greater ideas for things. Two important things she said, apart from the quote at the start, was how she'd rather have recognition of her abilities than just money, and how it was important to define what success is to you. I am already inspired to aim for more.

Continuing on the ramble about how much I love everybody at school etc. I'm really glad to be working with both K and E, we all get on and support each other, I am so happy about that. Through any problems I've had they've been ace, and hopefully I've been good to them too. This is easy when people are your equals. But my question now is how do I show my gratitude to all the people who have helped me out this year, especially my department? I want them to see how much I appreciate them, but how? I'm not sure a nice cake will cut it (pun not intended!)

Tomorrow I'm on my primary school visit, yay!