Thursday, July 05, 2007

Name dropping

But first...


Today S in Y8 was very annoying in my computer room lesson. And yes, not just because he shares many similarities with a cabbage patch doll.

He can basically get on with the work, but only if you're sitting right on top of him all the time. I think he needs an LSA. Do we have one for him? Err, no. So anyway, I speak to him at the end of the lesson and he seems apologetic. I dismiss him. He walks out and shuts the door. As I am having a word with the next of my naughty ones, he bursts open the door, sticks his rear end in the room, and proceeds to make loud and disgusting farting noises at me. Wow. Shocker.

Real shame though, since my kids learn really well on the computers.
I like taking them there, but the naughty ones mean I am reluctant to do it as much as I should. Behaviour definitely gets worse - a combination of excitement and change from routine I suppose. Although I tend to take them Thursday lesson 4, when they are already a bit more hyper than usual.

I like doing the ICT stuff because
learning on the computer provides instant feedback and they can all work at their own pace. Plus, all the games and things make them learn without the rigmarole of book work. We use mymaths a lot of the time, and today we did some work on place value and ordering decimals. I still get shocked at their low ability - most of that group is a high level 3/low level 4 (the kinda levels most year 6 students should be getting - except my lot with be in year 9 in Sept). Still, will be taking my Y7s there tomorrow too, so will see how that goes. Can you tell it's almost the end of term? Time for computer sessions and investigations....

In other news, found out our school is one of the lowest paying TF schools. Last year we were on the lowest point on the unqualified teacher pay scale and now we are moving on the lowest point of the NQT scale. Our Academy is tight with money. Grumble. We are contemplating asking for more money, although I'm pretty sure we'll be told where to stick it.

And now for the name dropping...my cousin's band were played on Zane Lowe's show this evening. They're called Battle and their new single The Longest Time is out now. Check their myspace out here. And this story made me laugh too.