Sunday, July 01, 2007

Leadership Skills Masterclass; Weekend Chatter

Welcome to smoke-free England! Hurrah!

I drank about 8 units of Jack Daniels last night and felt right as rain this morning. Proof that spirits are the way forward. A very nice birthday party, although a shame that the full family turnout didn't quite happen. It'll never be like it was back in the day, but still. Lots of nice "so when are you getting a serious profession and finding a nice husband" chatter. I'd like to think I cleverly bantered my way out of those conversations, but in retrospect I think I was a bit hammered and so may have come across as a bit hostile and argumentative. Ho-hum.

Leadership skills masterclass yesterday was actually very good. Freshfields were wonderful hosts, providing both breakfast and lunch, and also the use of some very nice offices. The masterclass itself was well presented with good content and challenging ideas. Lots of excellent "business psycho-babble" theory, with questions designed to help us figure out our leadership style, and what motivates us (achievement, affiliation, power).

It seems that essentially good leadership can be boiled down to a model with three components: intent/motive + behaviour/skills + outcomes/performance. If you get the balance right, you can be a good leader and provide direction, execution and commitment.

We have an assignment to do now to help us "define our leadership goals", which could be waffley, but might well be interesting. The two critical questions for a leader at the end of the class were "how do people experience you? how do people experience themselves in your presence?" I have no idea as yet, but I do now know that "people who cause others to experience themselves as energised, committed and confident are most likely to be seen as leaders". I will resist the urge to apply all this theory to the leaders at my school, this can only lead to negativity. On a slight aside, I feel rather like I've been brainwashed by the masterclass - I'm all over this leadership stuff, give me more!

In other news, a boy from my year at college is on a TV show called Last Man Standing. It's a competition where 6 lads go round the world and get initiated into various tribes and compete in tribal games and stuff like that. All sounds a bit mad really, but it's entertaining viewing, so check it out if you can (Tuesdays at 9 on BBC3; first episode repeated tonight at 8).

Meant to be making my portfolio today but still can't really be bothered. I have progressed as far as finding a lever-arch folder and some dividers. I think that merits a break.

Times Horoscope for Virgos this week:


Ordinarily, you’re the one who’s dispensing advice to others, and usually they take it. Now the tables are turned. Not only do you dislike the vulnerable feelings that relying on others’ advice triggers, you’re also not so sure about what they’re telling you to do. If you can’t agree, at least explore their suggestions, some of which would take you into unfamiliar territory. Actually, that’s the point. Recent burdens have restricted your zest for life. Once you regain the inquisitiveness that is one of your most valuable traits as a Virgo, you’ll also regain your enthusiasm, and won’t care in the least who’s giving you advice or what they say, as long as what it leads to interests you.