Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Good deeds and good tips

Went to the hospital today to have a blood test after the persistence of my ridiculous sore throat. I am worried I am becoming like SB when it comes to sore throats i.e. they are a defining characteristic of mine.

At the car park I was about to pay for a ticket when a nice lady gave me hers, with two and a half hours left on it! Excellent! Feeling buoyed by the good deed, I proceeded to pass on the remaining 90 minutes on the ticket when I was done at the blood test unit. As I passed my ticket on, I noticed around the car park that lots of people were doing the same thing. Clearly such behaviour is normal at King George's hospital, perhaps to spite the over-zealous car park operators who insist that customers must pay for a minimum of three hours of parking (what does that say to you about NHS treatment times?) Anyway, I have been inspired to try and do at least one good deed each day, whether it be picking up some litter, letting someone in at a busy junction, or simply turning my radio down a bit.

In other news, here are some tips from a very entertaining and experienced teacher (might come in useful for the old NQT year...yes, I know we've been told most of them before, but perhaps this time we should actually use them!):

1. Say what you mean, mean what you say. ALWAYS.

2. Don't smile until Christmas - The saying is true. BE MEAN.

3. Children are like dogs - they smell fear. Think Tony Blair or Bill Clinton when you talk to them. YOU RULE. Always stand at the front when talking, don't fidget, survey the students, and COMMAND attention.

4. Don't just be IN authority. Be AN authority. There is a difference.

5. Follow everything up. EVERYTHING.

6. Never forget a name and always use their names wherever possible.

7. Laugh at yourself. Show yourself to be human ONCE you have that control.

8. Talk to them individually, ask them how they are, what they did on the weekend, where they get their hair cut, what football team they support. And then remember what they told you so that you can follow up the conversation the next time you get the chance.

9. Be slightly mysterious.

10. Give gold stars. And always catch them doing something good. If you can, tell the parents quickly. That way when you ring up about something bad, they'll believe you.

Three days to go!