Sunday, February 25, 2007

Le Weekend

It's Sunday and I am my usual Sunday-self i.e. busy distracting myself from lesson planning. As an added bonus, I have slightly lost my voice and think I may have some weird eye lurgie. Yuck.

Aaaanyway, le weekend seems to be zooming by, but it's been a pretty good one, mainly because I have managed to distract myself from school worries for at least some of the time.

Went to Potato Potter's birthday/leaving drinks on Friday night at the lovely Alexandra public house in Clapham Common. A busy-but-not-too-busy place with nice and sleepy lighting, and only slightly extortionate pricing (well, I do compare everything to the Goose!)...well worth a visit. Met lots of Potato's nice friends, which gave me ample opportunity to practice my banter without consequence. Gotta love the banter. Clearly Potter will forever treasure her spontaneously created "bag of junk" and I hope she enjoyed the rest of her night. I wish her all the best in Paris and look forward to a Disney reunion over there soon...I need my fix of planning and list making!

Saturday was spent in Cambridge for OUWAFC varsity. Highlight of the footie season and exciting stuff all round. Sadly the Furies lost, but the Blues won 4-3 after penalities (0-0 even after extra-time) so congrats to them! The Furies game was dramatastic, with Oxford leading the Tabs 2-1 at half-time, but ultimately losing 4-3. Jonno pointed out that it's ridiculous the Tabs coulda scored 4 when that's more than they've got in the last two v-days put together. I think the 4-5-1 formation may have had a bit to do with that. Anyway, good drama bits:
  • Furies opening the scoring from a shot in the box off a free-kick (I think...?)
  • A spectacular vollied goal by the Furies
  • The Tabs breaking away and scoring from a cross in the box
  • A potentially equalising Tab goal being disallowed for off-side
  • Oxford conceding a dubious penalty (and goal) for handball
  • Two balls on the pitch during a Furies attack (when Jij tried to clear the imposter ball from the pitch, she managed to hit the real ball that Sprouse was running with, thus knocking them both off the pitch...really, what are the chances?!)
  • A Henry-esque Jijeridoo finish
  • A bit of a goal-keeping/defensive error leading to an awful Tab goal being conceded
  • The Tabs fully exploiting the big space between midfield and defence and scoring, again through a cross in the box.
All in all a really good game to watch from a spectator's point of view, but commiserations to the Furies for that one. Still, they were definitely better at abusive chants and probably caused all kinds of destruction as revenge last night in poor Tabland. Heehee.

In other news, the building is going well and we now have a fully operational third bathroom, whoop! Also, my room is being rearranged soon, thus giving me more room, whoop again! My folks are currently busy moving things around and tidying, so I think hiding in my room is a really positive contribution. I swear I am living through adolescence now. Better late than never...