Sunday, February 11, 2007

Random things, but most importantly...

It's half-term! I am sitting here reading the papers and listening to X-FM in my pyjamas after a luxurious brunch in a completely empty house (bliss!....my folks have gone to a lunch, but not before our breakfast guests departed...who else has visitors before 11am on a Sunday?! A wonderful excuse to hide in my bed).

Hahahaha, I think I may be delirious from the knowledge that I don't have to go to school this week :) Either that or still drunk. I have become a glorious lightweight, and also a more responsible drinker i.e. no longer having to sink everything in sight. Well done me.

On the down side, I now have a bit of a cold. How annoying. I always get ill when I have a kinda slow down in life pace. Boo. Still, plenty of echinacea, vitamin C and zinc will boost me through. I think I got it from the weird lady in the sauna at the gym, who despite my clearly trying to relax (with my eyes shut and everything), insisted on attempting to make me talk to her. Some highlights of efforts to trap me in conversation included:

"what kind of fish do you eat?"
"are you worried about bird flu?"
"there's a court in Snaresbrook you know"
and, most alarmingly, "when are you coming here next?"

She creeps me out, and the fact that she is quite emaciated, has scary worm hair, and sunken eyes doesn't help. In future I won't be so polite, since clearly my downfall came from answering her questions, even if my answers were horribly blunt. Further, this will limit the chances of her committing ID fraud with all the random personal information she has gleaned from me. I think she's a witch.


In other news, I am still full from the gorgeous feast created by Noor last night. And also mightily impressed at Charlotte "Ginger" Rhead's ability to drink more than half a bottle of rum disguised as mojitos, and still be standing. Inspiring. Also inspired by Noor's beautiful house and woods to once again contemplate becoming motivated by material possessions. Luckily these thoughts were quashed by numerous debates about teaching and the marketing machine that is TF etc. I think this job has taken me over. Yeen, we missed you, but drank in your honour.

And finally, when it comes out, make sure you see Freedom Writers - I've heard it's a wonderful film, in the vein of Dangerous Minds, based on a true story about a super-teacher (Erin Gruwell, played by Hilary Swank) who changes the lives of the young monsters in her charge through a diary project. Something for all us TFs, I'm sure. Maybe we can get them to screen it for us for free?



PS Potter, congrats on finishing your exams!