Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Things that probably wouldn't have happened if I'd worked in the City

Obviously there are trillions of things that could go on this list, so I'll keep it to events from the last three days that probably wouldn't have happened if I'd worked in an office:

1. I wouldn't have had to write a police witness statement.
2. I wouldn't have had to run two meeetings with two groups of "colleagues" simultaneously, one meeting of which I had no idea about (substitute "run meeting" with "teach lesson" and that'll make more sense).
3. I wouldn't hear profanities continually all day (including "f*ck off you f*cking c*nt" and "you f*cking Muslim" - two delightful highlights, neither of which were aimed at me, luckily, although I was told to "piss off" today).
4. I wouldn't have to deal with stroppy/sulky/hyper/whiney/smelly/dopey etc. colleagues.
5. I wouldn't have had to intervene in a fight, which led to me being shoved and all my books being dropped to the ground (ooooh, how dramatic, looking forward to absolutely nothing being done about these monsters).
6. I wouldn't have to change offices randomly all day every day because the whole office building is falling apart, with my "colleagues" using any excuse they can to avoid their meetings.
7. I wouldn't have to find random "colleagues" wandering the "office" and then having to baby-sit these colleagues alongside a whole other group of colleagues in the hall because there are no spare offices, when all the time I was meant to be in a PE meeting.
8. My colleagues wouldn't set off the fire alarm almost weekly so that we all have to evacuate the office and stand in the playground under the evil seagulls, who use us innocent people as target practice.
9. I wouldn't have to constantly battle with my colleagues over just about everything that needs to be done each day.
10. I wouldn't feel like I was working in a zoo.

Heehee, I can sense my analogies are getting mixed up so I will stop now. Essentially school has been tough these last few days; it's a general build-up of chaos and lack of management. I'm not too impressed, but still managing to keep going and fight my way through it. But right now it seems to me that the biggest problem in my school (and probably other Teach First schools) is behaviour, in that the kids just cannot behave appropriately and so learning is disrupted. I wonder if there'd be a straight-forward way to tackle such poor behaviour, especially since the causes of it are numerous...All I can think of at the moment is getting those "SuperNanny"/"Boot Camp" soldier people in. Cos at the moment, the kids rule that school. And they know it.