Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A good Wednesday

I've always liked Wednesdays. I think it stems back to school days, halfway through the week + activities afternoons.

I had a really good day at school today. Yesterday was a little bit hectic, it always is after a day away. Lots of my kids were giving up on their work, putting heads on the desk, behaving badly, rude etc. But today it was much better, maybe because I was more in control and positive about things. This was despite getting out of the wrong side of bed, and wasting ten minutes in the morning trying to locate my wristwatch, how scatty! Speaking of scatty, can you believe I left my book Drinking Coffee Elsewhere on the plane? I am so annoyed, partly cos I love the book, and partly cos it's a library book and I'd hate for them to suspend my account.

So the good things today:
  1. Completely took control of my Y10s, didn't let them get away with anything, so we learnt a lot
  2. Successful assembly mission - you know how much assembly stresses me out, but today's KS3 assembly was great and the kids were all so good
  3. Taught my Y9 compass constructions (perpendicular and angle bisectors) - very tricky topic but they all completed it, am really pleased :)
  4. No fights on my break duty :)
  5. My Y7s and Y8s girls football team drew their first match last night, and they were all so sporting and good natured and team spirited that I'm still really high off it
  6. One of my tutor group shoved an LSA today and stormed out of school, but we managed not to freak out too much. Although she will be dealt with tomorrow.
I think the biggest good thing today was having a meeting with our Principal. I don't know where I stand on the whole "is she any good"? debate, but she was certainly awesomely supportive today. I approached her for a reference for university applications and she was really positive, which was good. But then she started confusing me, talking about doing an Educational MBA through our academy sponsors, and about how I could get on the leadership fast-track and she'd support applications and stuff, and that I should consider staying on in school. And after a day like today, even with having to mark two sets of 30 books, I feel really good, like I've done something worthwhile and it's been fun. But then sometimes I'm cynical, maybe she was just buttering me up for something, and is just after cheap non-political labour? But then on the other hand, I think I appreciate the recognition, and I think I want to stay in education long term, so hmmm....

Got me thinking anyway. Am excited about tomorrow too, we are restarting our trumpet quartet :) Am just as excited about tonight too, an early night, yay! Well, after marking all these books. I'm not even going to let England's loss to Russia get to me.

I am such a yo-yo.