Friday, October 12, 2007

Writing the personal statement

I've now spent over three hours trying to write a personal statement. It is still decidedly mediocre. And incomplete. My concentration is shot.

Some distractions I have indulged in:
  • dancing to the Funky House Sessions (both discs...that's over two hours of music)
  • opening and shutting the windows in my room to obtain the optimum climate (cos that's what's holding me back)
  • painting my toenails
  • thinking about packing for the weekend (but not actually packing)
  • drinking cheeky beers with my bro (his idea, but really, it's not helped)
It wasn't good when I checked out a graduate site for tips and it said that many people write 10 or 12 drafts of their statement of purpose, and over something like 2 months. I have until 4am.

It's not a good time to have to do this. It turns out that I am not a fan of drama any more. I wish I had a crystal ball. And a time machine. Then maybe I'd be better at all this.

Expect an update in about 6 hours time i.e. when we leave for the weekend.

Update 23:47: I'm done. Got into the flow of it and it's done :) First draft obviously, but still. Packing can wait till the morning. Will ramble again on Monday, enjoy your weekend!