Monday, December 03, 2007

First Day Back at School

First day back at school today, after the extended hiatus. Pretty good actually, was very cool to be back. Only one truly awful moment where I contemplated running away home, but the rest was ok. I'm doing half-days for the rest of this term and have been relieved of the majority of my tutor responsibilities so that I can ease myself back. Had a return to work meeting where I had to explain what had been wrong with me. Was rather cagey, despite my HoD being there too and him already knowing a bit about it all, but anyway. Am thinking perhaps tomorrow I will come clean a bit more so that in case I lose the plot again they can be prepared.

My Y7s were convinced I'd fainted last week and that was why I'd had to go home. My Y8s were angels and just so glad to learn some maths again. Y10s were a handful - they are so love/hate with me. One sticky moment when I kicked out J after she threw a strop. Was going to turn into a slanging match, but she left. Found out later in the day that during my absence she'd been excluded for breaking another girl in my maths group's nose by punching her in the face. So bad were her injuries that she's had to have reconstructive surgery. Scary. Also got into a battle with L who was passing his mobile phone to the girl behind him and then kicked off when I tried to confiscate it. But mostly the day was ok.

Am having crazy dreams for the two hours I'm getting most nights. Really should bother to keep that mood/sleep diary. Hmmm. Still, I'm glad to be back in the game.

Finally a quote that I saw on someone's Facebook today....

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty. - Winston Churchill

I like that.