Sunday, December 09, 2007

Sober Rambles

It's Sunday. Back in the day I think I used to lesson plan on Sundays. I have given this up. One week of school to go, and the kids will be demanding "fun lessons" left, right and centre. Plus Friday probably won't be a proper day of lessons, and then when you take away four afternoon lessons and one PSHE games lesson, well, I'm left with nine lessons to plan. Hardly seems worth spending Sunday doing.

I do, however, have to complete my Learning Log. Again. Boo.

So I am tired. I went to bed very late, about 7 hours ago, after J from TF's birthday shenanigans. Crucially, I am not that hungover. Either that or I am so used to my Friday night hangover that it just seems normal. Anyway, we went to the Covent Garden Comedy Club and saw some excellent stand-up. It was held at Heaven, which is pretty fun club anyway, and a really intimate stand-up venue. I was properly laughing my head off for most of it. I haven't been to much stand-up since my gap year, when I was quite into it, but it's definitely something else that is going back on the list. I think I liked it so much because I find everything funny - whether it's offensive, complaining, self-deprecating, fantastical, autobiographical, whatever, it's all funny to me. Obviously, those of you that know me know I think I'm hilarious, but these people are on another level. That said, if I had all day every day to read the paper and contemplate my life, well, I'm sure I could think of a few gags.

The tickets included entry into Motion, which is just on the riverbank near Embankment. Good fun there too. Enough said. When I combine the chatter of last night with a college friend's Christmas party on Friday night, it's pretty obvious why I've practically lost my voice. It's at that sore/husky stage, where it could go either way. School will patently push it into non-existence. Anyway, the party on Friday was my first Christmas party of the season and it was really good, mainly because it was full of people I knew from college and from Oxford and from my gap year, so it was great to catch-up. The mulled wine went down a treat, even when it became purely hot red wine, and it was just nice to see how far everyone had come and catch-up with those people I've just not seen for ages.

To keep up the busy-ness of the weekend I had lunch and went to the Natural History Museum yesterday with someone I shall just call X because I know what you are all like with gossip. The only downer was seeing my mangy fox daemon on display - a truly verminous specimen. Apart from that, I am having fun there. It's kinda weird how I feel, but I like it.

I am pleased with the reintroduction of many non-drinking activities to my life. And also the way that I have swapped school for an actual life. Good times.

Ending on a dramatic note though, here's my Sunday Times horoscope for this week. Am already nervous about Tuesday...

Because you think things through carefully when you first hear about them, you’re rarely caught off-guard. But when events involve a form of transformation, as is the case with those triggered by Tuesday’s encounter between Jupiter and Pluto, there's little chance you could anticipate the sequence and impact of events. That being the case, forget about analysing everything and live one day, or even one hour, at a time. Because changes involve matters close to home, there could be dramas. But, with Jupiter showing its more benevolent face next week, you’ll soon be smiling again.

I hope so.