Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Funny conversation

Today I thought I'd do a good deed and help a lost father find the football pitches. On the way there he tried to make small talk. This consisted of rapid fire questioning along the lines of:

Mr Dad: Are you from Pakistan?
Me: No, I'm not.
Mr Dad: Are you from Bangladesh?
Me: No, I'm not.
Mr Dad: Are you from India?
Me: Actually I was born in London.
Mr Dad: Yes, but where are you from?
Me: My parents are from Sri Lanka.
Mr Dad: But you are Muslim?
Me: No, I'm not.
Mr Dad: But your children are Muslim yes?
Me: No, I don't have any children.
Mr Dad: But your husband must want you to have children?
Me: No, I'm not married.
Mr Dad: But your husband is Muslim?

Thankfully we reached the pitches at this point and so the conversation was forced to end. It did make me laugh though.

In other news, pretty good day today. Year 8s in the morning were a state - they are slowly turning into my least favourite class. But aside from them, day was ok. PE was wicked - netball, whooop! Year 11s did enlargements using the ray method. Was feeling like we didn't get that much done in the lesson, but then the teacher who takes Y11 set 3 (I take set 6) was in my classroom and noticed what we'd done that day and was really surprised and impressed my kids had understood it, so this was good. Year 7s were ace, although think I have thoroughly confused them about adding and subtracting positive and negative numbers. Tried to teach them that two minus signs in a row means you add; not sure they really have any clue. On the plus side (pun not intended), the seating plan is working well, they're loads more productive. Tried to use loop cards in the lesson, but didn't check they worked before hand, thus leading to comedy looping disasters (e.g. two people had number 13, no-one's card had the answer to "-6+7", so made mental note to check through the cards next time. And also not make them 10 mins before the lesson). Played FizzBuzz with Year 8s in the morning too, they didn't get that either. Hahaha, I will persevere with my maths games :)

Busy day tomorrow despite not teaching on my own, but am actually quite looking forward to it. Maybe things are on the up...