Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Wednesday = surreal day

"Being Part of the Winning Team" was the first session we had this morning. The lovely Mr Alan Chambers came to give us a good old talking to about being the 5th British man to ever stand on the top of the world (the real North Pole, not to be confused with the magnetic North Pole. Or the other two North Poles, which supposedly exist [sceptical look]). This man is amazing. I have officially added him to my list of inspirational people, just under Mr Breakdown Truck Driver aka Ed short for Leonard. But so weird to be sitting in school and listening to him chat about all this stuff. I can't explain it, but yes, 8:45 - 10:30 = inspired.

I forget the title of the second session, but it was something about managing change. Very exciting. But it was actually. For instance, have you ever considered what the chapters in your autobiography would be titled?
Or where your spiritual centre is? Or whether you have been too scared to make a change because it will lead to an even deeper transition? (yes, change and transition are two different words, and I quite like the distinction). Have been thoroughly enlightened, and feeling pretty jammy since no-one else I know is getting paid to stand around and "feel my energy coursing through, strengthing my foundations". I do like a spot of meditation, me. I also learnt how to be a good listener, and to listen to my inner voice (even if it is yelling "nap time, chocolate, bored"). Thus 11:00 - 12:45 = spiritualised.

All in all a pretty good morning. But the post-lunch comedown was inevitable. Year 11 Tutors meeting. About as much fun as something not much fun. I think I underestimated how much drama there is amongst the members of staff at the WA. Teachers on channel 4 is nothing. Hohoho, well, I do like a bit of drama. So long as I'm not caught in the cross-fire. But when Miss "PE" and Mr "Keystage 3" are kicking off in the middle of the meeting, while Miss "I Invented The Wheel" and Mr "Perpetual Fag Break" bitch in the corner, I find it hard to keep a straight face. 14:00 - 16:00 = drama central.

A very surreal day indeed.

In other news:

1. I think I have malaria.
2. My cousin is having her sari party. This is a big deal in the Tamil world...it's like a Bat Mitzvah, except you don't have to do anything since you get one automatically when you experience menarche...kinda embarrassing since everyone gets to hear about it, but it's a tradition and it pays BIG TIME...wooo presents!
3. I am teaching PE after all - lucky year 7 girls' won't have to miss out on cross country.

Aaargh I'm missing the 2nd half. That is all.

PS Interesting article in The Metro today about what the warning lights on the dashboard mean...I didn't even know there was one for water in the fuel.

PPS I haven't signed a contract yet, so they can't fire me for talking about all this...can they?