Thursday, September 07, 2006

Photocopying

Today I photocopied approximately 2,000 sheets of paper. I think that might be a whole tree...?

I used this thing called a risograph, which is positively amazing! It can copy 100 sheets in one minute; it just swallows up the paper and spits it right back out. It's easily the coolest thing I've seen in school so far (and that's including the broom cupboard that is masquerading as a drama studio). I might have to give it a nickname, that's how much we bonded.

Aside from that, school today was lots of "sorting out stuff" time, although I still don't really feel like I've sorted anything out. My classroom (the old maths' dept. office) is still a tip. I have no contract or network password. I don't have a code for getting into the school or a parking space. I have no BromCom, no idea about coursework, only a vague understanding of the rules and sanctions for pupils, and I have lots of fun getting lost in school while searching for people. To do one thing, it feels like you have to do a whole other ten things first.

Wow, when did I start complaining about everything?

Other points of note:

1. I forgot that in the sessions yesterday they said that it was sitting around the fire and talking things through that kept the North Pole team on track. Made me think of the "sharing sanitiser circle" and the "gimme two words about" stuff.
2. I need to learn how to make an exit - I find myself hanging around for ages instead of being able to leave. I think I said this already.
3. When I told my Mum I was teaching PE, she said that now I would never leave school cos I could play all day.
4. People still can't believe how young we TFs are. I feel quite old at 22, but I got some "aaahs" today when I was forced to reveal my age. I wonder how old I need to be before that doesn't happen?
5. A scary proportion of the kids seem to be taller than me. Not just seem to be. Actually ARE taller than me. This is very strange for me, particularly since I never usually feel like anyone is taller than me.

The best thing of all...our staff local is called THE GOOSE! And even better, it's a Wetherspoons! What are the chances? Really?!

I will finally be teaching tomorrow.