Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Thumbs up!

Ok, relax, I'm not complaining today, you can keep reading :) I knew a good day had to happen eventually. The worst thing that happened today is breaking a nail (although I haven't taken my Lariam yet :S)

I think the days where I teach PE are better days, mainly because I get to run around and shout lots and thus feel better for the rest of the day. Year 7s lesson 1 had to do cross country mwahahaha. Was hardly cross country though, I think they had to run just over a mile in 10 minutes. Back in the day we had to run miles every single week in tiny athletics shorts and vests, even if it was snowing. These girls are lucky running three times round a field once a half term. Had fun giving lots of positive encouragement and thumbs up type signals; very useful, hahahaha. I think all PE teachers get a slight kick out of making the kids who hate PE run. I will try and make it up to them in football on Friday.

Year 8s - did a ridiculous probability exercise featuring yachts. My 12 year olds were struggling to identify what a sail was, let alone "flag on the mainmast" and "curved hull", thus making it very difficult for them to look at the yacht pictures and calculate the probability of a yacht having "blue rounded sails, a red pointed hull, and a yellow flag on the mainmast" (the answer was 1/20 in case you've been struggling on the same exercise). Apart from the obligatory swearwords written on the mini-whiteboards and the terrible trio acting up, was an ok lesson.

Year 11s - translations continued. After much complaining, they settled down and worked really well, am really pleased. Some quite comedy answers though, clearly they're not all working from the same page. Literally true when it comes to those who can't read Roman numerals and so just make up their own question numbers (very difficult to mark!)

Year 7s - finally they are in their sets so got myself a brand new class. Learnt my lesson from last time and so went in really mean and strict so that they take me seriously from the start. That's the plan anyway. Spent a whole lesson putting names on exercise books and textbooks, and also learning "how we lay things out in maths", including a good 5 mins of drawing margins 4 squares wide. They loved it.

Driving gets a thumbs up today, really do think I am getting better :) But on the downside, both my father and my brother have been given parking tickets in the last month, thus taking the family tally to three tickets and one towing in 3 months. Good work Paras!

Yay, no teaching tomorrow, only supporting, whoop whoop! And I get to set lines for that little year 8 monster. Am told that making a kid write lines and then ripping them up in front of them works well. Teaching is a bit sadistic I think...? But really get a kick out of being bossy :)

Quotes of the day from Little Bro after I told him about school: "it's better for society if a few people like you get paid to keep the future ASBOs off the streets for a few hours each day; it doesn't matter if they don't really learn anything" and "I hate poor kids". An argument against private school there perhaps?