Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Staffroom Politics

I think I might have mentioned before that there is a lot of tension between the "old firm" pre-Academy staff, and the new Principal and Academy management. Today this rising resentment of the "Academy Way" became more apparent than ever.

Whilst I am usually pretty oblivious to staffroom politics, it was difficult not to notice the absence of half the senior leadership team. It seems that the SLT are voting with their feet and staying away from school. Meanwhile, the Principal seems to be keeping a low profile (apart from the surprise lesson observations I hear she is carrying out). More alarmingly, other members of staff are getting summoned for "infringements" on an almost daily basis. I am convinced my lovely stripey pirate-esque shirt will count as an infringement; if they try and confiscate it, I will be very cross. On a more serious note, there is some kinda emergency union meeting tomorrow to discuss the problems and think of solutions. Perhaps I will bring up the pirate-shirt issue...

Personally, having not been at the school pre-Academy, and not having really taught in another school long enough to know what it could (and should) be like, I can't really complain too much. But I'm finding it pretty difficult to keep my opinion neutral since the Maths Dept. is so anti-Academy and anti-Principal. There are some strong characters on the teaching staff, and they are trying pretty hard to persuade us TFs that they are right and the Academy is wrong.

My understanding of unions is pretty limited, so I guess I'll go along to the meeting with an open-mind. But from an economist's perspective, unions are usually detrimental to efficiency, which can't be a good thing. Further, I'm terrified of maybe having to cross a potential picket line (yes, I am already envisioning a mass Academy staff strike, and us poor TFs getting caught up in all the drama...whoop whoop dramatastic!) I wonder if I would cross a picket line?

So yes, I will keep you posted on the staffroom politics, but it's not quite Channel 4's Teachers. Our summer training didn't prepare us for all this internal drama.