Sunday, September 10, 2006

Who was more nervous?

The 100+ new year 7s? Or yours truly? 50-50, who do you reckon?

Surprise surprise, it was the year 7s. I'd completely forgotten what it was like to be teeny tiny and new in big school, let alone the school with the scariest rep in the borough. Within minutes of seeing them, most of my worries disappeared.

So how was my first day of teaching? I'd give it 8 out of 10, not being too cocky or anything ;) Started off the day as co-tutor for 7E, good stuff (got the tour of the school, very useful, plus learnt all the school rules etc. and got to practice being bossy, yay!) Then had my first session with the PE department. Mr PE is very scary, I am going to use him as a role model, I am already certain no kids are going to give him any lip at all. Miss PE is very nice and gets her respect too. Am looking forward to the PE sessions next week, not just because it means I can wear joggers all day and not violate the dress code :)

Maths was a bit more tricky. I hadn't really looked through the worksheets Mr A prepared, and then they got changed around anyway, so I really wasn't prepared for the problems the kids had. They got the first bit, but section B confused the heck outta them. It was funny though, because they all said they understood, but really they didn't at all. I asked HoD why they would say they understood if they didn't, and he laughed and said all kids did that, and to never believe them. I'll add that to my list of words of wisdom. Also had a bit of trouble trying to take control of the class; what with 2 LSAs and Mr HoD in the room too, at first it was tricky to make it my own class, but I got there in the end. I'm sure it went far better than a lot of peoples - some real nightmare lessons taking place across London it seems!

Apart from teaching, lots of fun free food at the staff BBQ; interesting banter about my name and about TF; made some comedy social errors; all in all good stuff.

Good weekend too, apart from crazy Lariam dreams (let's just say I'm never drinking a pint of water before bed again!). Spent too much money, saw some mates, got back in touch with some others, made the family late for a surprise party (what are the chances?!), tested out all the gyms in the area, got a sari blouse fitted, wrote my TF journal, tried (and failed) to find out what my Y11s should be doing tomorrow.

Am looking forward to next week, guess teaching hasn't taken my soul just yet. So far so good, eh?