Friday, December 29, 2006

Oranges


I am reading this book. Very interesting. And not just because I like oranges. Or the references to gypsies.

Weirdly it seems to be about Mouche's life.

I knew Mouche couldn't be a real name...she is masquerading as Jeanette Winterson.

The clues:

1. Big emphasis on the Church - Mouche (or should I call you Jeanette?) tries to keep this low-key, but I know her Sundays are for The Lord (and footy of course).
2. A mother full of "character" - in fact, the mother in this book is almost the same as I imagine Mouche's mother, with lots of quirks but an overall logic that seems to justify them.
3. Jeanette went to Oxford - where did you go Mouche?

There are more clues, but they are harder to explain. Basically it just seems to be written as if Mouche is doing the writing. e.g.

"And now," said a voice, "a programme about the family life of snails."
My mother shrieked.
"Did you hear that?" she demanded, and poked her head round the kitchen door. "The family life of snails, it's an Abomination, it's like saying we come from monkeys."
I though about it. Mr and Mrs Snail at home on a wet Wednesday night; Mr Snail dozing quietly, Mrs Snail reading a book about difficult children. '
I'm so worried doctor. He's so quiet, won't come out of his shell.'
"No Mum," I replied, "it's not like that at all."


Can't you imagine Mouche saying that? Or, more specifically, imagining Mr and Mrs Snail? (Obvy the people who have never met or heard of her will find this bit difficult, but try).

Anyway, I am only 22 pages in, but we will see how it pans out.

In other news, went on a marathon shop in Romford yesterday, epic. Much more productive, mainly because of the presence of PRIMARK, whoop! Today I am contemplating doing some work for school. Unlikely to be done, but contemplation is the first step. Yuck, school next week, booo.