Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The Sales

They are evil.

Well, maybe not evil. Just a bit crazy.

Clearly it was an error to go shopping in Old Londinium Town today when every single other person in the UK seemed to have decided to do the same thing. Millions and millions and trillions of people packed into a tiny area - perfect. At times I swear the road traffic was moving faster than the pavement traffic. My experience was further worsened by my "not feeling in the mood to shop" anyway (I need to be in-the-mood. Or, at least, not not-in-the-mood). Error.

Low points:

1. Seriously contemplating selling-out and going corporate - surely then I will be rich enough to not have to risk being runover by angry shoppers on their way to (or maybe from) Next? By the way, there are three Nexts between Marble Arch and Tottenham Court Road, all of which opened up at 5am today, and won't shut till 9:30pm. Insane.
2. Realising that I am both Asian and frugal (a vicious combo, but good for the bank account. So long as I am sober.) and thus even if I was mega-mega-mega rich, I would still look for a bargain.
3. Being cross with all the people who brought their children shopping. Why would you do that? Don't you love your children? Why put them through the horror?
4. Being jealous of all the men who had grabbed the comfy sofas in all the department stores, thus not having to trudge around. Lucky.
5. Being even more jealous of the old people in the electric golf cart things (don't worry, I appreciate my mobility. Really. I only fantasise about a bright blue golf cart with pretty lights and a toot-toot horn occasionally.)
6. Getting lost in the John Lewis men's suit section for 20 mins. How is this even possible? I didn't even want a suit.
7. Seeing Scrouse's 50 year old self. Ok, I'm kidding...this was obviously a high point, not a low point!

You'll be pleased to know I bought nothing, partly because I was too lazy to fight for a bargain, partly because the only thing I wanna buy at the moment is a piano, and that would involve spending my entire annual salary in one big hit (soooo tempting. But no. Must resist...) When I left my brother, he had managed to buy a belt. Good stuff. He is still out there battling, but phew, I'm glad to be home.