Monday, December 04, 2006

Today was a bit of a write-off. I think at times I really am an awful teacher. Was going over converting metric units with Y8 (again) and they still didn't get it.

Me: If I have 5 centimetres and I want to know how many millimetres that is, the first thing I have to do is decide what units are in the question. What are the units?
Y8: Is it 5 Miss?
Me: No, I want the units. What are the units?
Y8: Is it 10 Miss?
Me: No, units, I want to know the metric units in the question.
Y8: It's a hundred isn't it?

Cue almost hysterical laughter from me. I literally couldn't keep a straight face. The kids thought I'd gone loopy. Talk about raising expectations...I'm a baaaad teacher, I laugh at my kids. Oh dear.

Y7 weren't much better...the little monster K went into a strop when I moved her after she repeatedly made weird sucking/squawking/quacking noises. She refused to participate in the lesson and so I kicked her out. Lots of lovely drama and squawking later, she leaves. She flounces back in at the end of the lesson. "Mr Aubdool is a really good teacher, "she announces grandly. "Maybe he'll keep you permanently," I mutter under my breath.

Things got better though. Played "heads down thumbs up" with 7D in tutor time, very constructive. Helped some Y11s with exam questions. Was granted leave for family stuff at the start of next term. Managed to get home before 5 and have finished my work for the evening.

However, these next two weeks aren't as carefree and easy as I thought. Reports need to be written for every class (including full written reports for Y11). This means every class needs to be tested and every test marked in time for the reports. Great. Also found out that the average life span after retirement for a male head teacher in an inner-city school is 1.5 years! Like most jobs, it's hard to leave work at "work". But teaching is all consuming. Today is one of those days where I missed staring at spreadsheets. Inevitable I guess after the joys of last week.

In other news, I am feeling rather philosophical. It's a loooong story, and don't worry, I will be happy-go-lucky (i.e. thinking about stupid things like ducks) again tomorrow. Note to self: no deep and meaningful conversations after bed time.

Also, I have been roped into a rather bizarre match-making scenario. The two in question are complete opposites, and I'm convinced it won't work, but have somehow been "tricked" into fabricating an opportunity for a rendez-vous. And yes, just for added drama, they are both boys. Hopefully my match making skills are universal.

For inspiration, check out the link to scaramouche on the side bar. Her tale of Melanie Bellamy really is quite ridiculous.